Maag Library is named in honor of William F. Maag Jr., a longtime editor of The Vindicator who was a great benefactor and advocate of local libraries and Youngstown State University. The Maag Microform Center has this valuable resource available in microfilm from 1869 until the April 2019, the year the Vindicator closed and the current Warren Tribune owned editionsbegan. The Vindicator continues to be published 365 days per year.
The paper was founded as the weekly The Mahoning Vindicator by J. H. Odell in 1869. It was purchased by William F. Maag in 1887 and has been published daily since Sept.25, 1889. The Sunday edition began on June 7, 1896. Thus the Youngstown Vindicator, and its successor title since 1983, The Vindicator, has published a daily look at life in the Mahoning and Shenango valleys, for over 120 years, documenting local, national, and international events.
1869-1877 Microfilm X 0459, Microform Center Third Level
1889 to April 30 2019 Microfilm X 1026, Microform Center, Third Level
Most recent 30 paper issues Maag News Corner, Reference Department ,Main Level
Paper issues kept until Microfilm received Microfilm Newspaper Reserve, Reference Dept., Main Level
1869 – 1919 Microfilm X1026 Index Microform Center, Third level
1933 – 1938 Microfilm X1026 Index Microform Center, Third level
NOTE WELL; The microfilm includes all of the editions published each day and the item you are looking for may not be exactly in the same place in each edition or it may be published only in one of them. For example, the September 1, 1987 front page of the City edition features articles and headlines not found in the Pennsylvania edition. (See first column and differing headlines below) .
Vindicator September 1 1987 Article Page 1 column 1 city edition Strike averted in Girard