Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
**First time SciFinder users must register for an account. See instructions below.**
SciFinder, a resource from the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS), is a curated database of chemical and bibliographic information that covers several scientific and biomedical fields, with an emphasis on chemistry. SciFinder is an appropriate resource to consult for literature searches and to find background information on chemicals, drugs, and substances. It contains a wide variety of content from journal articles to information on chemical structures, properties, and reactions.
There are three separate search sections in SciFinder:
- References: Research Topic ♦ Author Name ♦ Company Name ♦ Document Identifier ♦ Journal ♦ Patent ♦ Tags
- Substances: Chemical Structure ♦ Markush ♦ Molecular Formula ♦ Property ♦ Substance Identifier
- Reactions: Reaction Structure
REGISTER FOR A SCIFINDER ACCOUNT
First-time users register for a SciFinder account:
- Go to the Maag Library Home Page
- Click on A-Z Research Databases
- Select S in the alphabetical listing
- Scroll down to SciFinder
- Click on SCIFINDER FIRST-TIME REGISTRATION (beneath SciFinder database title)
- Click Next, read License Agreement, then Accept
NOTE: Violations of terms may result in losing SciFinder® access.
- Fill out Contact Information. Use your YSU email address.
- Set up a Username and Password
- Security Information: Select and answer a Security Question
- An email will be sent to your YSU email account that includes a link and instructions for completing the registration process.
- After registering, log in to SciFinder using the username and password you set up.
- If you cannot remember your username or password:
- Click on Can't log in?
- Enter Username or Email Address
- Click Next
- An email will be sent from CAS with a Verification Code
- Enter Verification Code then click Continue
- Answer security question and click Next
- Reset password