Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MEDLINE, CINAHL, SPORTDISCUS or HEALTHSOURCE EXAMPLE
- Type one concept on each line.
- Use OR to combine words that can be interchanged like nebulizer/inhaler
- Parenthesis group words together that can be interchanged
- Use AND to combine words that must be included like Asthma/management
- Leave drop down menu on select a field for these databases
- Type one concept on each line
- Proquest inserts the OR for you so you don't have to type it like in the example above
- Change the drop-down menu to "Anywhere except full text-ALL" to avoid less helpful results
If you don't like the results you see, you can try changing the words you are using. Notice how my 2 searches used different words in each database!
In general fewer words = more results!
Use the examples on the left to structure your search.
Write out your search statement the way it appeared in the database:
(You will enter this into the form at the end of the tutorial)
Asthma AND (nebulizer OR inhaler) AND management
Asthma AND (nebulizer OR albuterol inhaler) AND symptom management